Hello. So this is page is meant primarily to comply with the regulations set by the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation, but I suppose it could be useful for anyone concerned about their online privacy. Based on what I have read in Article 13 of the regulation, I provide you with this information:
- I'm Brian Hinman, and I am currently the only person who sees and controls any personal information that might be gathered by using this site. I'm supposed to provide a way to contact me, and though a link to my contact info is already plastered at the top of each page, my email address is email@example.com
- I use Squarespace for processing web traffic data and Mailchimp for processing email newsletter data. I could use Google to target advertising to people who have visited my sight. I don't do that because I don't have much to advertise at the moment, but I might.
- Honestly, I don't do much with this data. It mostly satisfies curiosity. How many people are visiting which pages of my site? How long do they stick around? Is anyone opening my newsletter? Are they clicking any links? It's not rocket science, and I have not used this data beyond trying to determine if any specific content is popular. If I'm smart, that can inform future content creation, but usually it doesn't. And like I said, maybe one day I'll use the knowledge of your interest in what I do to directly promote to you some dope new album I recorded or something. Not sure yet.
- When you first landed on my website, you saw a banner notification about cookies gathering this vague but interesting information about you. I hate that thing, but your clicking "continue" signified your consent, and that is now my legal basis for processing this info. Same with the emails. If you're getting newsletters or updates from me, you requested it.
- If you need me to delete info about you, let me know. Frankly, the only info that I could possibly have, identifying you specifically, is if you give me your name and email address. Otherwise, you're just an anonymous IP Address that I wouldn't know what to do with. If you've signed up for my newsletters, you already know that you can unsubscribe at any time. I am happy to delete your email address completely, if that suits you. Otherwise, your data will just sit in some database through the end of time not doing much unless I feel curious enough to examine some historical trends of usage.
- If you really think I'm illegally misusing the internet somehow, and talking to me about it hasn't solved anything, I don't know what to say. It's you're right to tell somebody. Maybe let Squarespace know?
- I'm not a lawyer. Obviously. This is my best attempt at complying with regulations that affect only a small percentage of my audience. But if you have any concerns at all, I encourage you to reach out. This website is one of many ways I can to connect with a community of music lovers. If you think I'm using your info inappropriately, let's chat and try to fix it.
I think that's all.